For the melomakarona
- A cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of agave syrup
- ½ cup of orange juice
- Zest of half an orange
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tbsp soda
- 4 cups of flour for all uses
For the syrup
- 1 cup honey
- ¾ cup of brown sugar or agave syrup
- 2 cups of water
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Mix the oil with the agave, orange juice and zest together.
- Mix the baking powder, baking soda and flour, then make a puddle in the middle for the liquid ingredients to pour, then knead lightly.
- Shape and bake at 175 degrees for about 30 minutes until it gets brown-y.
- Meanwhile, boil the syrup for 5 minutes, removing the foam and pouring it on the melomakarona as soon as they come out of the oven.
- The syrup should not stay for long because it will thicken. After sucking the syrup on one side, turn the melomakarona upside down.
- Allow them to cool completely.
- Sprinkle the grated walnut kernels optionally.
Grandma’s traditional recipe but small twists…